Famous icon expert Sir Richard Temple took a group of visitors on a two week trip to Russia to see the museums and churches in and around Moscow and St Petersburg. The exhibition ‘Travels in Holy Russia with the Temple Gallery’ – the beautiful outcome of the trip – was opened at the representative office of Rossotrudnichestvo in London on May 19, 2017.
The photo exhibition is comprised of fifty phtographs taken by two travelers - Alain de Lotbiniere and Hans Matschukat, who tried to capture their responses to the corners of Russia they visited. The Temple Gallery also presented the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God (late XV century) as part of the exhibition.
In his opening remarks Ambassador of the Russian Federation to the UK Alexander Yakovenko noted his high appreciation of Sir Richard's contribution to the development of humanitarian cooperation and strengthening of Russian-British relations. Sir Richard also received a personal letter of appreciation from the Ambassador.
In the framework of the exhibition opening, Sir Richard Temple presented a pearl embroidered icon of the Smolensk Mother of God (XIX century) to the Russian Orthodox Church in the person of His Eminence Archbishop Elisey of Sourozh.
Richard Temple is a British citizen who dedicated his life to the study and collection of Russian icons. In 1959, he founded the Temple Gallery as a centre for the study, restoration and exhibition of ancient icons and sacred art. Sir Richard Temple is a member of the Advisory Panel of the Art Fund (formerly the National Art Collections Fund of Great Britain) and has been active in in the acquisition of icons by several major museums, including the British Museum, the Musée du Louvre in Paris, the Timken Art Gallery in San Diego, California and the Museum of the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour in Moscow. Richard Temple published many catalogues and scientific articles, as well as two books on icons.